Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Journal Entry #1

Date: Tuesday, October 30, 2007
Time: 20:36

For those of you who may have read my post to the biographical thread in eCollege, I stated that I like writing.

But, I do not call myself a writer, or an author.

I've never been happy with the way those words sounded in describing what I do, so I call myself "A Story-Teller", or, if I want to sound really whimsical, I say that I am "A Weaver of Tales". Which, if you think about it, is not so far off.

The way I tell a story, or write a paper, if you were to change, or even remove one word, not only can the whole paragraph come unraveled, but the entire idea might become useless.

I also stated that I haven't had much nerve lately in attempting to get one of my stories published . There's a reason for that, I have an almost paralyzing fear of rejection. One of our classmates responded to my post and said "What's the worst that can happen? So they say "No"."

But that's just it, that is the worst thing that can happen to someone like me. For me to be told "No, that's not good enough." or "No, I don't want you." or anything in that vein, can be as devastating as being told I have incurable disease and only twenty-four hours to live, and that the doctor was trying to get hold of me since the day before.

I'm even a little fearful of submitting this post.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Imaging being told you only had 24 hours to live, it would make rejection of submissions seem small in comparison then, wouldn't it?