Saturday, July 19, 2008

Enough Is Too Much!

Date: July 19, 2008
Time: 00:59
Place: Home

The title of this entry is derived from an old Warner Bros. cartoon called I Love to Singa (1936). In this cartoon, there is a family of owls whose children are all classical musicians. However, the youngest hatchling is not, he's into jazz. So the father throws him and he goes to seek his fortune on a radio amateur hour show.

The line is apropos of how I've been feeling about my job lately. In truth, it's always how I feel about my job, but lately it's been worse. I know I'm probably not supposed to be talking about this, but the company I work for was subpoenaed. We have to produce paperwork for the projects we have been involved in for the Port Authority. Now, even though a great deal of our files are in a digital format, one project is not. I have spent the last week or so scanning hard copies of files and saving them in a digital format.

Today, or rather, Friday was one of those days where I wanted to quit. I was trying to work, getting into a rhythm of scanning and filing, when my boss calls. Then I have to get back into the rhythm, and she calls again. I got to the point where the words, "I quit!" wanted to spew forth from my mouth.

But I can't quit. Not just because I need the money, pittance though it is, I don't quit. I don't give up. I may issue a formal notice of surrender, but I do not give up.

No comments: