Tuesday, July 22, 2008

"Inconceivable!"

Date: Tuesday, July 22, 2008
Time: 22:41
Place: Home

While I have yet to have any of my stories published, I like to think that I have some talent as a writer, or as I like to call it, a story-teller.

Up until yesterday I have never hated anything I have ever written.

Until yesterday.

Last week, I was given an assignment for my Critical Thinking class. I was to write a short essay on what one learns at DeVry, but while using a collection of 5 bullet points. These 5 points were to be compiled from the bullet points in the DeVry Student Catalog, and from the list entitled "Program Outcomes of General Education".

Between Thursday evening, the day I got the assignment, and Sunday night, I was unable to write a thing. I just couldn't figure out how to get started and how to incorporate those five statements. But yesterday, Monday, I thought I had it.

Never before have I been so wrong about something. When I finished it, I looked it over, and said, out loud, "This is bulls**t!" It was so awful to read. It felt forced, it felt fake, which is what it was really, and I'm ashamed to put my name on it.

I'll try to work on it, but I don't know if it's fixable.

No comments: