Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Journal Entry #36: Favorites

Date: December 5, 2007
Time: 00:28

*Yawn!* Dozed off for a few hours.

Tuesday evening I was asked what my favorite scary movie was. I had to admit that I didn't really have one. I did have a scene from one that still gives me the jumps. It's from the film "Poltergeist", when the clown doll appears from under the bed and wraps its arm around the kid's neck. Just the doll's appearance makes me jump, even though I know it's coming, I still flinch a great deal when it happens.

I guess that's why I don't watch that movie anymore.

But that led me to think of the fact that I don't really have a favorite movie, I say that I have a few favorites, but it's due mostly to the fact that what I call my "favorites" are actually made of a lot of scenes that I especially like.

Take for example "People Will Talk" (1951) Starring Cary Grant. In this film, Cary Grant plays Dr. Noah Praetorius. He teaches at a medical school and is the head of his own medical clinic. As the main character, he of course has some of the best lines, but it's the following scenes that I love most. 1) Around the beginning of the film when he steps in to take over the lecture of another professor at the college. 2) When he's on rounds in the clinic. 3) When he visits the father of this one female patient of his. 4) When he appears before a board of inquiry to tell the story of his past, and especially about the man who never leaves his side, 'the man called Shunderson'. 5) Even though he doesn't tell most of the story of Mr. Shunderson, the care that Praetorius feels for this apparently simple man is easily seen and felt.

And finally, 6) Which even though is a bit of what is called "A Spoiler", it occurs at the end of the film, when Dr. Pratorius is conducting the school orchestra and chorus. I won't give away what muisc is being performed, you'll have to watch it yourself.

No comments: