Saturday, December 15, 2007

Journal Entry #46: Ignorance

Date: December 15, 2007
Time: 01:44

Man! Between not getting enough sleep this week and having system problems tonight, I think this is the latest I've done this. Oh Well.

Onward!

For all of the information I've stored in my head, there are some subjects which I admit to being if not partially, at least totally ignorant of. Sports is one subject I can claim I have partial ignorance of. I know there are different types, I've at least heard of the Olympics, but I really don't care much for them. Oh sure, I'll show a little interest in the World Series, or the Super Bowl, but only if a New York team is involved.

I do remember watching a Super Bowl that had no New York team playing in it. I'm just not sure of which one though. I used to think it was a Bears game, but now that I've been looking, it doesn't appear to have been. The biggest thing I remember about it was that the final score was so lopsided, I wondered why the losing team ever showed up.

I believe the last Super Bowl I watched any part of was back in 1991, when we were in the Gulf the first of several hundred times around. That was the one that had the big controversy over whether Whitney Houston lip-synched to "The Star-Spangled Banner". This argument begged many to ask the question "Who cares?" I, at least, felt it necessary to ask these people the question, "Are you stupid or something? Haven't you morons realized by now how difficult it is to sing that song?" I found out, through a short film broadcast on Turner Classic Movies, that the tune that was slapped onto the original poem, is not only a British drinking song, but it apparently only sounds good if sung in four-part harmony, preferably by a barbershop quartet.

But we won't even bring up the fact that there's really 4 Verses!

But the title of this entry is called "Ignorance", and I kind of got off the subject of why.

I have read a lot of comic books over the years, and read a lot about comic books over the years, but as with anything else, I admit to not knowing everything about comics books and the characters that inhabit them. But this does not prevent me from expounding on theories about them when confronted with a question about a particular subject.

I've mentioned my friend Ray in some earlier entries, and how he and I discuss comic books. every once in a while, he'll have a question about something, either from the distant past (before he was born. I'm a bit older than he is.), or from something the relative present. Now what I tell him could be complete and total BS, but I present it in such a way, that even if it is BS, it sounds plausible enough to be true. I've even admitted to saying something that might not be true, and I've even said "But it sounds good, doesn't it?" And he agrees.

So, I admit to being ignorant about many things, but as someone once said, "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullsh*t."

No comments: