Saturday, December 8, 2007

Journal Entry #40: Vagaries of Time

Date: December 8, 2007

Time: 23:57



Almost slipped my mind this time.

In Journal Entry #11, I made mention of using Google Earth to go flying through space. I mention that because I had an idea of what to write and I wanted to see if I had written it before. I also spoke of one of the actors from Doctor Who being part of what inspired my first story.

The actresses' name is Sophie Aldred, she portrayed the character known as "Ace". In the interview she said that if a big blue police box, which is what The Doctor's travel machine looks like, were to appear in her sitting room, and a man stepped out and said "You can sit here and drink cups of tea and go to work and live your life, or I can take you on a trip through time and space." She said that she would go. My story added one little phrase, "And have you back before anyone knows you've been gone." This is something I'd always thought about long before I ever knew the series existed.

Many science-fiction television series, books, comic books, and even a play or two, have dealt with the subject of time travel, and I've always felt that if you were to go into the future, or to the past, you should be able to come back to when you left so no one would know you'd been gone, and would therefore not miss you, or give your apartment to someone else.

But in some ways, there is a drawback to traveling into the future. What you see there, isn't necessarily going to stay there. In other words, "The future has not been written. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves." Cliched? Sure! But it's still true.

And don't go thinking that past can be changed, either, there are laws against that. Not the kind of laws you think, but let's say you go back and kill a dictator before they are born, or come to power, history says that there was a dictator at a certain time in a certain place, and if you get rid of the one eveyone remembers, history will put another in his place, maybe a worse one.

No comments: