Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Date: Tuesday, August 26, 2008
Time: 22:01
Place: Home

Here is a paper I wrote for my Humanities Class. I am putting it here for all those that were unable to read it.

The Diary

Day 3:

Stopped at a freshwater spring I found. I brought more than 3 days worth of water, but when you come upon a spring like this, with clean, fresh water, you have to stop and drink some of it.

Day 15:

Found an area overgrown with flora, took longer than I thought to get through it all. Will rest for a bit and continue on tomorrow.

Day 35:

Found another overgrown area, but this one had edible fruit. Decided to take what I could carry.

Day 48:

Found a village, the first people I’ve seen since I started this, I guess you could call it a “quest”. They wouldn’t take money for the food I would eat. Seems my money wasn’t worth anything here anyway, so we bartered. I gave them some fruit, and told them the story that brought me here.

Day 53:

I’m still in the village, exchanging tall tales with the natives. The village elders told me the story that has been passed down from father to son over the last hundred years. It’s a story about sounds of screaming coming from the sky, and night turning into day. They ask me if I have any stories like that. I tell them the story of “Thirty Days of Night”. Since neither of us believes the other, it’s all in fun.

Day 63:

I left the village 10 days ago and have had to stop for a while. I keep hearing animal noises, but have yet to see any animals. Since I don’t particularly desire to be some beast’s meal, I’ll stay where I am until the noises stop.

Day 70:

The noises finally stopped yesterday afternoon. It was then that I saw what was making the noises, well, one of them at least. It was like no animal I had ever seen. It had a head, feet, tail and a body, but it looked like it had been turned inside out.

Day 95:

I’ve reached my destination. I never thought I’d make it, but as I look at the landmark that tells me I’ve made it, I have to say, that even after a hundred years, now that the low ash levels means the air is breathable again, the Empire State Building is still an impressive site, even with the ivy growing all over it. But I can’t dawdle. I have some more to go before I reach the boat that will take me across the Atlantic River.

No comments: