Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Is There REALLY Such A Thing As "Good" Grief?

Date: Wednesday, August 6, 2008
Time: 23:33
Place: Home

We were given an assignment in class today. We were told to write what we would do if the world as we, ourselves knew it, was going to end. What I wrote was rather short, maybe two sentences, so I will elaborate on it a bit here.

So, I have been given the news that my world, or the world, will end.

It is very likely that, like everyone else, I will experience, and go through, the Stages of Grief.

There are usually five of them:

Denial:
Example - "I feel fine."; "This can't be happening."

Anger:
Example - "Why me? It's not fair!" "NO! NO! How can you accept this!"

Bargaining:
Example - "Just let me live to see my children graduate."; "I'll do anything, can't you stretch it out? A few more years."

Depression:
Example - "I'm so sad, why bother with anything?"; "I'm going to die . . . What's the point?"

Acceptance:
Example - "It's going to be OK."; "I can't fight it, I may as well prepare for it."

And some believe there are seven stages, with the addition of Shock and Guilt. Although, if the reason the world is ending is an act of nature, I can't see feeling guilty, unless it's as a result of this so-called "global warming", and something I, or everyone else did contributed to it, then I can see it.

After going through several of those stages, I would then pack as much as I knew I would need, and go down to Florida to spend the remaining time with my father, who is the only family I have left.

No comments: