Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Journal Entry #16: Dreams

Date: November 14, 2007
Time: 21:31

I don’t know where I read this, or even heard this, but someone once said that we dream in black and white. I don’t know what that guy was on, but I’ve always dreamt in color. And I have had a few dreams that have stuck in my mind. I even had a dream repeat itself. What I mean by that is this; I had a particular dream twice.

Let me explain.

When I was about five years old, I dreamed I was walking along a concrete walkway. I remember my father and brother were with me, and we were mingled with a lot of other people. And we all were walking along this pathway.

Soon, and this was still within the dream, we walked through this gate, and onto this enormous platform. It was situated above this gigantic waterfall. I remember looking out past the edge and seeing the water, but we were so high up, and the waterfall was so large and powerful, the mist prevented you from seeing any further than a few feet. I suddenly felt a little dizzy, so I sank slowly to the floor. I reached out my right hand, and with my thumb, forefinger, and middle finger, touched the floor. I remember feeling the cold of the concrete, and the roughness of it, and then I woke up.

About 13 years later, I was about to graduate high school, and one evening, I had that dream again. Everything was exactly the same as it was when I had the dream when I was five. Even down to waking up when I felt the cold and rough surface of the platform.

When my parents and I lived up in Co-Op City in the Bronx, we lived in the part of Co-Op City they called “Section 5”. There were five sections and we lived in the fifth. They had 3 main configurations of apartment buildings in Co-Op, as we called it. There was the Tower Building, which was 33 stories high and looked like a large ‘X’ in a small box. Then there was the “Triple Core”, which not only had 26 stories, but was in 3 sections, and then there was the Chevron, so named because that was the shape. That had 24 floors and was in two sections.

They also had what was referred to as “Townhouses”. They were a series of two-story structures, and each level had one apartment. The top apartment had a balcony, while the bottom apartment had a backyard. Oh, and in case you were wondering, and even if you weren’t, the Tower had 384 apartments, the Triple-Core had 500, and the Chevron had 414. I used to deliver this weekend supplement and I had to count how many apartments in each building I delivered to so I would be sure to have enough.

Now, Section 5 had two sets of Triple-Core apartment buildings, and in the center of each set was a very large sandbox. In each sandbox was a series of structures and playsets made of wood.

One night, long after I had moved out of my parents’ house, I dreamed I was walking into Section 5. I was coming in from Section 4, via “Killer Curve”. Coming into Section 5 that way let’s you into where one of the sets of Triple-Cores are located, along with the sandbox. One of the things that clued me in on this being a dream is that I was wearing nothing but my underwear and a t-shirt. I then got caught in this small wooden house like structure in the sandbox. I remember saying, out loud mind you, “This is a dream. I’ll wake up, get out of this, and then, when I close my eyes again, I’ll be out.”

And that’s exactly what I did, and that’s exactly what happened.

~To be continued~

No comments: