Thursday, November 22, 2007

Journal Entry #24: Time Out/Time Off

Date: November 22, 2007
Time: 21:38

I’ll get back to “If We Ran Marvel” another time, right now, I need a break. I need time off from my job; I need time off from DeVry. I need to not only get away from both places, but I need time to clear my head. What I believe I need is about a month away. Yes, I know, I have to come back, but it’s still a whole month, give or take a few hours, away from that which makes me crazy.

What I need is to have two weeks out of the city, out of the state, and maybe even out of the 48 continuous United States, and both Alaska and Hawaii are out, and stay in some cabin somewhere. Just me, a cabin, a bunch of books to read, and NOTHING ELSE! Someone will drop me off with enough supplies to keep me from starving for two weeks, and at the end of two weeks, that person will pick me up and drop me off at the airport, or bus station, or train station, whichever one is available. Then, for the next two weeks, I will spend that time re-acclimating myself to the city.

But just think about the first two weeks. No people, no worries about sub-contractors not doing their job, not having to deal with any “Authority”, whether it’s the Port Authority or the School Construction Authority. Not getting swamped with enough work to keep 5 accounting clerks happier than a pig in a waller. Imagine, no worries about tests, or mid-terms, or finals. No worries about whether you should take more classes for the “B” Session, or any sessions for that matter. To just be alone and not having to deal with anything for two whole weeks.

To me, that sounds like sheer heavenly bliss.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My wife's uncle will sometimes go to this lake in Quebec that is only accessible by sea-plane. Once you are dropped off, the plane flies over once a day. You place a green plywood sheet out if everything is okay. Yellow if you need more supplies (like beer) or red if someone is dead/dying and the plane should land to provide assistance.