Friday, November 30, 2007

Journal Entry #32: MY Song

Date: November 30, 2007
Time: 22:12

Back around 1977 or 1978, I was listening to the radio, during one of those time when I was allowed to do so, and back when AM Radio played music. It was the time of 77WABC and 66WNBC. This was a good thing as the radio I had at the time only received AM signals.

It was early one evening and this song came on. It was a purely instrumental piece, and it sounded so beautiful, I actually began to waltz around my bedroom. Unfortunately, the DJ never told what the title, or who the artist was. All I know is, that song made me feel so good, I was honestly happy, and even relaxed while it was on. But then, to make matters worse, it would be years before I ever heard it again.

Fast forward to 1983, and I'm living in Cottage 12 in Hawthorne Cedar Knolls School. My roommate is at home for the weekend, so I decided to listen to his radio. Yes, this one had FM, and this was back when WPAT was playing what they used to call "dentist office music". And yes, that song played again, and once again, I felt happy. Until the station broke for a commercial, and the DJ never mentioned the title or artist.

Cut to: My Grandmother's livingroom. I'm sitting, watching TV, and a commercial comes on, "Eric Roberts Plays the Piano Greats". Now this was not the Eric Roberts who is an actor and brother to Julia. This was a different Eric Roberts, who played the piano. (I know you can see where this is going, but let me get there in my own way.) So, I'm watching this commercial, well, staring at it really, and the announcer says "Eric Roberts plays 'Musicbox Dancer'", and I hear the strains of the one song in the entire world that can make me feel good, and I sprung up from the chair. I pointed at the screen and shouted "That's it! That's the song!"

But it would a few more years until I found out the name of the artist, Frank Mills, and it would be some time before I was able to get my hands on a copy.

But now, I have a 45 record that I was able to get through a co-worker, I have a cassette tape that has quite a few other tunes by the same artist, I have a CD with a newer version, and I have the CD edition of the cassette. I think I'm covered now.

And now I'm going to feel happy for while.

Bye now.

No comments: