Thursday, November 1, 2007

Journal Entry #3: Writing

Date: November 1, 2007
Time: 20:45

Typewriter vs. Computer/Word Processor

Back in 1995, I came into possession of an electric typewriter.
One day, I started writing with it. I wrote a story based on the world of the British science-fiction series "Doctor Who". At the time, I was working a 3-day work week, and the schedule was Monday through Wednesday. I mention that so I can explain why I only wrote on the weekend, I wrote the story on my days off.

The story was about a friend of mine who meets this person called "The Doctor". They go off on an adventure and my friend comes back and tells me about it.

I was so proud of it, I went to Kinko's and had twenty copies printed up and bound. Unfortunately, it can never be published as it breaks many rules that have been set down by the BBC.

But the title of this blog is "Typewriter vs. Computer/Word Processor", and this is why it's titled that way.

I don't know how many of you have ever tried writing on a typewriter before, but I can honestly say that it's a feeling that can never be duplicated. You're sitting there, pounding on the keys, and the words are coming to life before your eyes. Right there, on the paper that's unrolling before you are the words that came out of your head, through your fingers, and onto the page.

Words that you write on a PC, or a word-processor? To me, they're dead. Dead words on a dead screen. But what's that you say? "You can print them onto the paper." Yes, you can, but it's dead words on the paper.

You see, when you see the words appear on the paper as you write them in "real time" as opposed to printing them later, it gives you a sense of power, and then, if you make a mistake and have gone too far to correct it with the correction ribbon, or some form of white-out, that is the moment when you can play G-d.

You take the paper out of the typewriter and look at it. You see the mistake you made. You take another, clean sheet of paper and put it into the typewriter, and then you start to copy what you wrote up until the mistake.

But then, you suddenly realize, maybe a different word would be better, or a different phrase, or better still, a completely different scenario. And this, ladies and gentlemen, is the moment I spoke of, the moment when you can play G-d. You make the decision to do one of those three things, or not.

It just can't be done with a PC or a word-processor. Or, it's not the same with a PC or a word-processor. To change anything with a PC or word-processor, all you do is delete the word, replace the word, or highlight all that needs changing and you change it. And what you've changed from is gone forever, but with the typewriter, even if you've torn it up or shredded it, those words are still there, and they can taunt you into thinking what you did was wrong, but remember, it's your story, your characters, and you do with it what you will.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Unless you e-mail the document on your PC. Then it would be at more places than you could even imagine. I understand your point, however. There is something about the infiniteness of analog that...gives a certain feeling that can't be duplicated digitally.