Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Journal Entry #8: Acceptance

Date: November 6, 2007
Time: 21:17

I am a science-fiction fan, a fan of fantasy novels and movies, and a comic book fan. This means that I do not fit. It means that I find it difficult to find acceptance among those who are supposed to be my peers.

The problem was, when I was growing up, among other things that I had problems with at that time, was growing up. When other guys my age were starting to turn to playing baseball, or basketball, I still wanted to play cops and robbers. Still do.

I don’t think it’s a longing for simpler times, or any other piece of psychoanalytical hoohaw you want to throw at me, it’s just that sometimes, I feel that I never got much of a chance to be a kid, and I’d like to be one again. Or still.

But regardless of all of that, I still love to read comic books. I buy mostly titles published by DC Comics, and some from a little known label called “Moonstone Comics”. I watch cartoons whenever I get the chance, but I try to watch what made me happy growing up. Although I cannot understand how I used to watch “Scooby-Doo” every week. I can almost see people starting to read this blog entry, thinking it’s going to go somewhere else, but, upon realizing it’s not, they’re turning away.

This means, that once again, I have to go elsewhere to be accepted, but that’s okay, I know where those places are, I’ve been there before and I had a good time. The trouble with at least one of them is I can’t get to it, and in another few years, it’s going to go away. That one particular place is a Doctor Who convention in Chicago. At this time in my life, I can’t afford to go, and I don’t have the time to take off. But there is a fan club I belong to, and if I can ever get my schedule and theirs to mesh, I’ll be able to go to the monthly meeting, and there is still the Video Meet near the end of the month that I can attend, as long as it isn’t in upstate New York.

As for the comic book thing, there’s always my friends, and beyond that, there’s the New York Comic-Con to look forward to next April.

No comments: